Sony’s PlayStation 3 was one of the most iconic video game console ever released. It’s the successor to the PlayStation 2 and the seventh best-selling gaming console ever. The PlayStation 3 had its own moment of glory, competing against the likes of Xbox 360 and Nintendo’s Wii. Thanks to its super slim “variation that further refined and redesigned the console. PS3 is basically a disc-based system, but utilizes Blu-ray discs which provides more storage capacity for multichannel audio and HD graphics.
Also Read: PS2 Emulator for Android and PC.
The PlayStation 3 came with a slew of legendary games and franchise such as the Grand Theft Auto V, The Last of Us, Red Dead Redemption, Skyrim and many others saw a fantastic mainstream success. Albeit good, the PlayStation 3 never lived to its lofty goal of being the best PS4 alternative and Sony had to discontinue its production in 2017. Fortunately, we found a perfect PS3 emulator dubbed RPCS3 that proves that PS3 emulation on PC is highly possible.
Also Read: Best Wii U Emulator for PC.
RPCS3 is an open source PS3 emulator that allows users to play PlayStation 3 games on PC. The emulator is capable of running over 1800 commercial games available on PS3 and this will be at a reasonable speed. Albeit a work in progress, RPCS3 has already brought some PlayStation 3 AAA exclusives such as Demon’s Souls, God of War, Uncharted, Little Big Planet, Infamous, Gran Turismo, Persona 5 and more to PC. A few tweaks, nips and tucks can make these games play faster without glitches. You can head over to this page to see a list of compatible PS3 games that have been tested using RPCS3 emulator. Now here’s how to install and setup RPCS3 PS3 emulator on PC.
- Intel Quad-core, AMD Hexa-core or any X64 CPU processor
- Vulkan Compatible AMD, Nvidia card or OpenGL 4.3 GPU
- A minimum of 2GB RAM, 8GB or greater recommend
- Windows 7/8/10 64-bit or Linux 64-bit
- PlayStation 3 .PUP system update file
- Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable
- Microsoft DirectX End-User Runtime
- A self-dumped PlayStation 3 game
- A USB controller
How to Install and Setup RPCS3
Before we proceed, we’ll like to inform you that the above system requirements for running RPCS3 emulator vary depending on your hardware configuration. To get the best experience, you will need a gaming PC. So here are the steps to install, setup and boot PS3 games on RPCS3 emulator.
- Firstly, download RPCS3 emulator and extract it to a folder on your Windows desktop.
- Next up, head over to PlayStation and download PS3 system software update. Then save the file into the RPCS3 folder.
- Now launch rpcs3.exe and go to file -> Install firmware, then select the PS3 software update (PS3UPDAT.PUP) you downloaded. Click open and allow it to install.
- From here, you may want to setup a controller. So click on “Gamepads Settings” and select your controller.
- Once you’re done, download Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable and Microsoft Directx End-User Runtime, then install the programs.
- Now it’s time to add some titles. Get a self-dumped PS3 game which should be in .pkg or .rap format. Then extract the file using RPCS3’s built-in package installer found under File > Install.pkg
- For .pkgs files they’ll be automatically installed to dev_hddo|game| while .rap files will be placed in |dev_hddo|home|00000001|exdata|. Blu-ray disc data can be placed in |dev_hddo|disc|
- Now let’s load some games. Go to File on RPCS3 and click on either Boot SELF/ELF or Boot Game. Then find and select any of the PS3 game you’ve on your PC.
- Once the game loads, right click on it and click Configure. Then tinker with the settings over there. When you are done with the configuration, you can then boot your game on RPCS3 by right-clicking on its icon.
Important Notice: There’s an ESX emulator that claims to be the best PS3 emulator for PC. Please don’t fall for this scam, it’s totally fake. RPCS3 is the first and only PlayStation 3 (PS3) emulator for PC as of now.
RPCS3 emulator for PC is specifically tasked with an endless goal to effectively emulate Sony’s PlayStation 3 and all of its aspects. When you load a compatible PS3 game on RPCS3 and it runs successfully, then try to appreciate the painstaking effort that has gone to make that possible. Overall RPCS3 is the best PS3 emulator for PC.